Sunday, July 29, 2007

Etonnants voyageurs, Graham's travels...memories...


Graham posted a great video on his blog, Paint your wagon, I was born under a wandering star, Lee Marvin...
I posted it as well underneath, please listen to it...it's great...Thank you Graham...
This is the film...the film that carries out dreams...the film Corto would love...
I was about 10 when I attended Saint-Malo book- festival for the first time...
Mum told me I was crying so much when leaving it...So many books, so many films, so many writers...
I there discovered American litterature, travel books, great writers Harrison, Bouvier, Pratt, Hillerman, Welsh, all Montana writers...all the writers you meet through Oldwoman's pages...
....................................

The great adventure had started from this photo...We were going to take the ferry...Can you imagine this was Puttgarden!!! I was 4...
I was a happy kid...when very small I used to sleep in the baskets full of wool or fabrics in the afternoon, near the sewing machine...Mum stopped teaching to be with me all the time...I don't know if it was right or wrong, she doesn't either...may be it's not good to give a child such a dreamy life...not much money but so many stories to listen to, walks together, afternoons in libraries or bookshops, second hand shops for books and clothes, markets ...I could chose the colours of the fabrics and the wools to make my clothes, chose my books...
When a clothe was a bit shabby I could chose between having it mended by mum and buying a book or buying a new clothe...so mum always made my clothes and I had plenty books...
and later the old camping- van and Dad and sister sometimes and the travels up to the north...we travelled so slowly we never reached Cap north...I had my sleeping bag made by mum, all red and printed with animals...I could sleep anywhere ...when leaving home we had a big bag of books, dictionnaries and later my Quid, Mum her wools to knit and exchange stiches with other women even in Saamis country......I also had my small bag with anything I wanted inside, but just one bag...when coming home, the toys had disappeared along the roads, exchanged with other kids, I also had old tins, wood, stones, papers of all sorts...i have so many memories...One day German men gave me a small car ...one day I was given chocolate ...I had friends everywhere of all ages...i was at home everywhere...coming back at night dirty, wet , sun-tanned ...so happy...a young wild boy...a happy kid...
One day we went to Scandinavia for the first time, stopped in Scanie , near a farm...Mum opened the old book and started reading aloud...I was going to meet my best friend Nils Holgerson...We followed him...we followed Akka...I still follow him...


And one day we were going to meet Norway , Lofoten Islands and the place I always dream about : A...with a little ° on top of the A...say o in Norvegian...but that's another story...


1 comment:

Rowan said...

It sounds like a wonderul childhood and has given you many happy memories. You are lucky to have such a wonderful Mum.